PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16
From Retro Modding Wiki
Best Possible Connection
RGB with an adapter such as the dbGrafx Booster. This is the recommended option for RF-only systems like the TG16 and original PC Engine.
Known issues and quirks
- Most consoles exhibit some degree of jailbars, but there is a simple mod to fix this.
- Earlier models of PC Engine, TurboGrafx-16, and Duo systems are prone to capacitor failures. It is recommended to replace the electrolytic capacitors (particularly surface mount ones) on any Duo system.
- A lot of the earlier consoles seem to be prone to noise/interference on the video lines. For RF-based systems like the TurboGrafx-16 and PC Engine, it may be better to stick with an external option like the dbGrafx Booster for video output. If you want to use a CD add-on, you could modify the IFU/dock using one of the simpler mods since audio is already amplified. Systems that come with AV ports can use the simple mods as well and seem to exhibit less interference.
- PCE/TG16 disassembly guide.
- RGB mod for RF-based systems (TurboGrafx-16 and original PC Engine).
- RGB mod for systems with an AV-out jack (CoreGrafx, SuperGrafx, and Duo systems).
- TG16 region switch allows Hucards from Japan to be used on US TurboGrafx 16 systems.
- Turbo Duo and PCE Duo region mod allows Hucards from US and Japan to be played on PC Engines and all Duo systems.
- Jailbar fix
- SSDS3 video fix for video noise issues.
- SSDS3 audio fix for audio buzz issues.